Reducing, copying, and pasting are widespread operations inside and between apps: getting an tackle from a message right into a map, transferring a picture from an e mail to a doc, or simply transferring textual content from one finish of a word to a different. to the opposite finish. Whereas I’ve identified endlessly tips on how to lower, copy, and paste on a laptop computer or desktop, I wasn’t fairly certain tips on how to do it on an Android telephone at first.
In truth, reducing, copying, sharing, or pasting is simple on Android—irrespective of which app you are utilizing or what you wish to transfer. Here is tips on how to do it.
Be aware: I examined these strategies on a Google Pixel 8 working Android 14 and a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 working Android 14 and One UI 6.0.
Choose, copy and share textual content
Normally, the method for choosing textual content on the display screen is identical, whether or not it is editable textual content (like in a kind) or non-editable textual content (like on an internet web page):
- Press and maintain a phrase till it’s chosen.
- If you wish to embrace extra phrases, drag the handles at both finish of the choice.
- faucet choose all Click on within the pop-up bar above the choice to pick all textual content within the part.
In some apps, like Google Preserve, it’s also possible to double-tap a phrase to pick it as an alternative of tapping and holding. You might discover this simpler if the app you are utilizing helps it. (Gmail, for instance, doesn’t.)
Irrespective of the way you do it, as soon as you choose textual content, you may see a listing of choices above your choice.
- faucet clone Copy textual content to keyboard, retaining unique textual content.
- faucet lower Transfer the textual content to the clipboard, deleting the unique textual content. (You possibly can solely do that in a subject or kind with editable textual content.)
Android truly has a neat trick the place if in case you have textual content on the clipboard if you pull up the on-screen keyboard, you may see that textual content able to be pasted above the important thing – simply faucet the textual content to stick it over the present cursor Location. (This is applicable to Google’s default Gboard keyboard, Samsung keyboard, and presumably different keyboard apps.)
- To stick textual content, press and maintain your finger the place you need the textual content to be positioned, then choose pasta When the pop-up menu seems, select from the pop-up menu.
- faucet share Ship textual content immediately to a different app – for instance, copy an tackle from an internet site and paste it right into a message to somebody on WhatsApp.
If you wish to transfer textual content inside a doc, you might have another choice: With the textual content chosen, press and maintain someplace within the choice, then drag it to a brand new location.This is identical as utilizing clipboard and lower and pasta choices.
You may discover some variations throughout apps – for instance, in Chrome, if you happen to press the present web site URL, you may see a selectable copy icon as an alternative of a popup bar. Usually talking, although, press and maintain to pick and duplicate, and press and maintain to stick.
Choose, copy and paste photographs
In my expertise, working with photographs is extra depending on the applying you are utilizing, however a protracted press is an efficient place to begin.For instance, in Google Chrome, press and maintain on the picture and you will notice a popup dialog field containing Copy image You possibly can select.
In each different utility, the state of affairs just isn’t so easy.When you’re viewing a picture in Google Preserve, you may have to click on on it to make it full display screen, then click on on the three dots (prime proper nook) and choose clone.In Google Docs, you possibly can carry up the clone choices.
Irrespective of which app you employ, making use of is simple.
- As with textual content, lengthy press the place you wish to insert the picture.
- Choose pasta from the popup bar that seems.
That is assuming you possibly can put up it in any respect. Oddly sufficient, in Google Images (which is almost definitely the place you share most of your photographs), there is not any copy performance in any respect. On this utility:
- Click on on the picture to view it full display screen.
- faucet share Convey up sharing choices.
- Now you can ship a picture on to some other app in your telephone by deciding on the app, however you possibly can’t copy and paste it.
The identical state of affairs exists with many different apps, together with WhatsApp and Google Messages. You do not have entry to repeat and lower choices, solely customary sharing choices.
Whereas the picture copying and pasting course of is pretty inconsistent between apps—and generally not usable in any respect—it’s best to be capable to copy photographs from one place to a different with none hassle.